Women’s Ministry is on break for June and July.
We are looking forward to studying the book of Colossians with you in August. Watch for updates coming in July.
So, are you thinking about starting the Simeon Course? The best place to start is here with our First Principles course. It’s an introduction to the most fundamental principles for studying the Bible. Here’s everything you’ll need to know.
WHAT IS IN THIS COURSE?
How do we get started in studying God’s Word? What kinds of things should we look for in the text? This course tackles the foundational principles of studying God’s Word, and is accessible for new students or for those trying to feel out the longer courses we offer.
Are you ready?
This course covers the basic principles of studying the Bible that any preacher, teacher, student, or faithful Christian who wants to read God’s Word should know. It begins with our basic conviction about Staying on the Line of Scripture. It then tackles the use of context, structure, and a book’s big ideas, and begins to answer the question of how to make applications for yourself and others while reading and teaching. The lessons included are:
1. Staying on the Line (a conviction about not saying more or less than the Bible says) Staying on the Line Fill-in Worksheet (Women)
2. Pathway for Preparation (an overview of how one should prepare for exposition) Pathway to Preparation Fill-in Worksheet(Women)
3. Context (using the literary and historical context to rightly interpret a text) Context fill-in worksheet (Women)
4. Structure (understanding how a text is organized to emphasize a particular point) Structure Fill-in Worksheet (Women)
5. Melodic Line (using the message of the whole book to understand the message of a particular text) Melodic Line Fill-in Worksheet (Women)
6. Text and Framework (being aware of the agendas we bring and submitting them to the text) Text and Framework Fill in Worksheet (Women)
7. Seeing Jesus (rightly relating each text to the death and resurrection of Jesus) Seeing Jesus Fill in Worksheet (Women)
8. The Bible for Life (wrestling with how to move from the text to applications/implications) Bible for Life Fill in Worksheet (Women)
FIRST PRINCIPLES (WOMEN)
The First Principles for Women’s Ministry track has 8 lessons (listed above) and is designed primarily for women who are interested in getting started in Bible study with an eye toward teaching. This course features four women’s ministry leaders: Nancy Guthrie (teacher and conference speaker), Colleen McFadden (Director of Women’s Workshops for the Charles Simeon Trust), Susan Jahns (teacher at College Church in Wheaton, Illinois), and Abi Byrd (teacher at Sterling Park Baptist Church in Sterling Park, Virginia).
FIRST PRINCIPLES Women’s Syllabus
We are doing everything we can to keep this simple. The cost of the whole First Principles course is only $19. More information about tuition, making payments, and discounts is available on the tuition page.
Teacher and Conference Speaker
Nancy teaches the Bible at conferences nationally and internationally and contributes to the Gospel Coalition blogs. She and her husband host Respite Retreat, a weekend retreat for couples who have faced the death of a child. She is presently engaged in graduate studies via Reformed Theological Seminary Global. Nancy is author of numerous books, including Holding on to Hope, Hearing Jesus Speak Into Your Sorrow and the five-book Seeing Jesus in the Old TestamentBible Study series.
Director of Women’s Workshops, Charles Simeon Trust
Colleen joined the Charles Simeon Trust in 2007 and currently serves as the Director of Women’s Workshops. Prior to working with the Trust, she was in the corporate world, most recently as a Business Development Manager at a major insurance corporation. Colleen earned a bachelor’s degree in marketing from the University of Illinois and an MDiv from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. She teaches and trains women in her local congregation, Seven Mile Road Church, in Philadelphia and serves on the board of Matthias Media Ministries.
Teacher, College Church – Wheaton, Illinois
Susan has taught in the College Church Women’s Bible Study since 2003. A longtime member of College Church in Wheaton, Illinois, she served on staff for six years as a Children’s Ministry Associate. She earned her BA in Christian Education at Wheaton College.
Deacon of Women’s Ministry, Loudoun Valley Baptist Church – Purcellville, Virginia
Abi serves as Deacon of women’s ministry at Loudoun Valley Baptist Church where she mentors and disciples women and teaches a Bible Study. She also speaks for evangelistic events and retreats at other churches. Abi has a BEd Honors degree in music and education from Cambridge University. She has been a teacher in elementary school and served with the children’s ministry on staff at Capitol Hill Baptist Church. She and her family have also served as missionaries in the UK and Kosovo with Radstock Ministries, of which she is part of the Board.